Why hire a professional to do your headshot?
With the digital age taking over film, the advanced technology of iPhones and affordable DSLRs make people question: why hire someone and pay a premium just to click a couple of photos when iPhones take great pictures and cost practically nothing.
The following are a couple of reasons:
- Cameras/iPhones don’t make the photo, it’s the photographer that makes the photo. Yes, the iPhone has a couple of filters and what not, to create an artistic image, which sometimes works to cover a bad photo, but the artistic filter won’t look good on a resume, and sometimes not even on a dating profile.
- Do you notice how sometimes you look great in the bar or under the shade and don’t look so amazing in other places? That is lighting and that is a photographer’s #1 job, to find the proper lighting for your features.
- The biggest myth for most people who aren’t photographers is that you assume the big expensive camera is what makes the great photo. No, it’s not. A simplified way to explain the difference between those big pro cameras vs. a point and shoot is, the pro cameras are kind of like manual cars and point and shoots are like automatics. Pro cameras give the photographer 100% control while shooting and for post processing, but you need to understand how light and the camera works to make magic. One without the other is not going to work.
- What is post processing? ” 50% of the Creative Process Occurred in the Dark Room” said Ansel Adams. What happens in the dark room is post processing, today we call it photoshopping. With the correct lighting and post processing, you get the polished professional look.
- Do you hate your passport or driver’s license photo? Do you look scared, or angry or even worse, a drunk? Facial expression is one of the greatest features of being a human. Everyone has a good angle and a bad angle. An experienced portrait photographer will not only work with you and discover the best angle for your face, but also make your photos tell the right story about you.
If you are still not convinced and think that it’s a waste of your time and money, see below:
New Headshot done by me a week ago
Now which girl would you prefer to work with?